Sunday, January 20, 2013

Response to M. Wesch’s Videos



In Response to M. Wesch's videos, one which is titled "The Machine is Us/ing Us," I am reinterpreting Rage Against the Machine's song "Killing in the Name of" to relate to the videos. Before I begin, my new interpretation of the song is not by any means devaluing the real, or true meaning of the song. The song is meant to be about white, racist cops who abuse their power, and kill for no reason other than racial beliefs.

In the new interpretation I am presenting, "And now you do what they told ya, now you're under control" is referring to the copyright laws that hold back and prevent society from progressing. Additionally, it represents the tight grip of control that the government and laws has over our actions, even when these laws have no substantial base anymore.

"F*** you, I won't do what you tell me," represents the voice of my generation and how we approach the government's arbitrary copyright laws. Many of us ignore these laws and continue downloading music, videos, and books because we believe in freely sharing information.

1 comment: