Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Response to RiP!: A Remix Manifesto

CC Rod Begbie
The documentary RiP!: A Remix Manifesto was informative, eye-opening and enjoyable. I always recognized the problem of copyrighting ideas, but I never gave it much thought until this film. A lot of it has to do with the fact that using other people's intellectual property is somewhat of a second nature to me. It is so common with our generation that I don't view mixing other peoples music or video as illegal at all. I'm somewhat surprised that I actually haven't gotten in trouble yet, especially since I'm so careless about it. That's not to say I download music and mix videos regularly, but I've had my fair share of creativity and creation with other peoples' work.

Despite this film and theme being relatively new to me, I find that a lot of my beliefs already align with that of the documentary. I am critical of personal property in many facets of life, but copyrighting personal ideas does not make sense to me. As the video states, it is just another way for large corporate businesses to take our money, while disregarding what is best for societal advancement. The comparison between audio-visual copyrights and that of medical ideas and innovations is a great point, because an older audiences may not understand our need to remix and create music, but they must understand the need to advance medical technologies and improve health.

Along with the film, I also view Brazil as a great, progressing country. I am somewhat bias because I studied there and plan to return after I graduate college. When I was in Brazil, though, I do remember all of the mash-ups of popular American and Brazilian music. At the time, I never thought of it as a grand, global statement- it was just something that Brazilians loved to do and dance to. Now I see Brazil as an even more amazing place than I already have, which I didn't think was possible.

There is a lot more to be said about this documentary, especially regarding how most new ideas are recycled from the past. It is impossible to grow as a society if we are not allowed to build upon other ideas to make them stronger. Many fundamental concepts have already been created, intellectually. These are the building blocks of culture, science, or whatever else it may be. Now it is the greedy government's job to put profit aside and let culture advancement flourish.

1 comment:

  1. A serious, thoughtful post.

    What I wonder about is the future, though. What will it look like in twenty, thirty years, if these forces--the regular person's casual use of copyrighted material (for youtube, reddit, whatever) in order to tell their own stories and the muscular responses of the rights holders. It's hard to see, I feel like.

    ReplyDelete