Sunday, January 27, 2013

Response to "What's Your Personal Social Media Strategy?"

CC Flickr Ahans

For the past two months or so, my mom has been urging me to create a LinkedIn profile. As a young person, I thought it was a somewhat weird site because there was never really any social pressure to use it. I've grown up using social media for personal use-- keeping up with friends and family. Using social media for professional reasons, or building "my brand," is something I've never had to do. As I began to create my LinkedIn profile, making the switch from personal to professional was a somewhat difficult process, especially after using social media my entire life for fun, and nothing more. What I think is even more interesting is that my mom already has her social media strategy down-- informing me that her company and many others recruit potential employees from LinkedIn. I think my mom also navigates it so well because social media arose at a time when she was already a working professional. Therefore, she never fully appreciated social media for its personal benefits- it was all primarily professional. It is funny that my mom, a lady in her mid-fifties, is the one helping ME use social media to my benefit. But hey, my LinkedIn profile is now live, and I'm ready for the recruitment message asking me to be the next Executive Director of a major women's health organization.

2 comments:

  1. I've grown up using social media for personal use-- keeping up with friends and family. Using get free instagram followers social media for professional reasons, or building "my brand," is something I've never had to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I too am quite surprised at the influence social media has on the professional front. I've gotten the impression of how Twitter hashtags can be mundane, but recently learned how it can actually connect people who share the same interests even though they're not following each other. I now think it's a great tool to promote both personal and professional brands.

    -Kristofer

    ReplyDelete