Sunday, February 10, 2013

Response to "How to Read a Movie"

CC Flickr Ennor

Roger Ebert knows a lot about reading movies- yet none of it interests me. I don't think I will ever be able to read a movie with an audience, because the whole process sounds somewhat annoying. Strange people yelling "stop" randomly to discuss lighting and color is not my thing. Let's apply this idea to books. If your class is reading a novel together in some writing course, and anyone is allowed to yell "stop" to discuss literary techniques, what would you do? I would probably die from a mixture of boredom and apathy. Okay, no I wouldn't die. I would ignore them and continue reading to myself while other people talked about the metaphors. Unfortunately, you can't secretly continue watching a movie when someone stops it, and that's what I would have trouble with.

For some people, analyzing movies is their thing. When it comes to analyzing films, I'm more interested in how it is producing and reproducing culture, with stereotypes and all. That is my Women's Studies minor coming out. I'm not interested in the nit-picky comments about lighting. At the same time, I do recognize that these things about character, shadows, and construction are important to know when making movies.

Well, one thing I've learned after reading this article is that I should never become a movie critic. A movie maker, however, may still be in the running.

1 comment:

  1. But doesn't it help, when talking about things like cultural values, to discuss what it seems like a director was trying to value (and devalue) in a given scene? A movie can be examined through any number of separate discourses, but knowing how a director thinks (or is this just document of how a critic thinks a director thinks?) would be helpful for all of that, no?

    ReplyDelete