Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Video Three: "The Surprise"



My final film, "The Surprise," is a video with a twist ending. I suggest that you watch the video right now to figure out what the surprise actually is, before I spoil it for you.

I initially wanted this to be a video without people, and just a mural that grew and expanded magically on its own. However, my first video project was stop-motion, so I needed to do something different. I also wanted to animate the drawing at the end- perhaps the tree playing the guitar or the mountains walking, but animation is tricky, and like I said earlier, I didn't want to make another video with stop-motion.

After I put the raw video footage together, I realized that it looked a lot like we were advertising for Heineken. That is why I decided to go with it, and make it a commercial for Heineken. That's the surprise, because it was so unexpected. It is also a statement about how many commercials nowadays have nothing to do with the product that they're selling, yet somehow the advertisements work because its interesting and we're left talking about the randomness.

CC Diego Garma

I didn't have any real problems with the actual filming process, except creating my own tripod out of books. My house randomly has a chalkboard in it, so I used that as inspiration for creating a mural, and my housemates were happy to help. The video footage lasted 20 minutes before I sped it up.

The editing was fairly straightforward as well. Since I only took two separate video clips, I just combined the two, and sped up the video to 1,050%. I had to make the Heineken still-frame in photoshop, which was easier than I thought it would be, and I took the other Heineken image from google.

The music is II'ya Beshevli, which I found on Soundcloud. I hope you enjoy this commercial! And for the record, I'm not even that big of a fan of Heineken. Ha!



1 comment:

  1. Brilliant, Aja, and a beautiful movie even without the rug-pull-out-from-under-you feel of the ending. Great work.

    ReplyDelete