Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Audio Project 2: Mixed Race in America

I present to you, my second published audio piece! It is my personal narrative about being a person of mixed-race.

I knew I wanted to do an audio piece on being mixed-race because the topic was both personal and compelling for me, but I didn't know exactly how I wanted to go about it. I new I didn't want to do another Voxpop, so I went out and tried interviewing some of my mixed race friends (turns out, I only have two in Ann Arbor). I was only able to meet up with one, my friend Taj. We had a really great interview that lasted for about 20 minutes.

 I was so overwhelmed by the overload of content and experiences he shared that I decided not to use the interview. At the very least, it was a good excuse to catch up with an old friend. Instead, I picked out important themes that he talked about that also relate to my own personal experiences with being mixed. The audio piece would have been extremely great if I did incorporate his interview, but it would have changed from 5 minutes to 10 minutes. I also knew it would take me a really long time to weave through our 20 minute interview to pick out his most compelling statements, so I instead decided to just stick with my narrative.

I used two songs by Rodrigo y Gabriela: "Paris," and "Tamacun." I knew I wanted to use a non-American song, so I figured I would use this music because they are instrumental and phenomenal.

Since this audio piece is much different from my Voxpop piece on feminism, I was worried it would be more boring because the nature of it wasn't as playful and fun. I then added noises and sounds that I thought would enhance the pice.

I also used the Zoom H4N Handy Recorder for this piece. I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment