Saturday, March 23, 2013

Response to “Images” by Robert Hass

CC Flickr Brun-o

After reading the article, I am left with a couple questions:

Was the reading supposed to be an introduction to the design section? I don't see how the article related to design at all. Perhaps it's more abstractly related to design? It's hard to say, because almost the entire article explicitly referred to poems, primarily Japanese haikus, and imagery in literature. I know that analyzing images in literature is important, but it seems pretty irrelevant to what we're studying in class now. I am also somewhat critical because I am not interested in poetry at all, so I began the reading hoping it would end with a great conclusion tying design and literature imagery together, but it didn't. 

Was this article trying to teach us the importance of imagery in art? The importance of conveying images in a straightforward manner? Or was it explaining why images are interesting and compelling at all?

I don't have much more to say about the reading because I'm still trying to understand its relevance to our class. If this were a literature class, I would understand completely. But since it is not, I'm left wondering why I read the article at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment