Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Response to "Jon" by George Saunders

CC Flickr User Ars Electronica

I'll admit that the story was somewhat hard to read (and by that, I mean it was somewhat hard to skim, such as what a college student does for most of their readings). The way of writing, which includes the run-on sentences paired with references to anything in society, slowed me down. It almost started losing its main point because there was so much stream of consciousness fluff.

At the same time, Saunders' style of writing is really intriguing! The story was so dark, about babies dying, yet the extra fluff of pop culture products lightened the subject. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. It made me feel weird how light heartened the story felt despite the heavy themes going on. Nonetheless, the story still remains me of this in some ways:

No comments:

Post a Comment